High school never ends, at least not at a restaurant

Outback is the fourth restaurant I've worked for in Tampa. There was also Bennigan's, Champps and Remington's (never eat at Remington's). When I began at Bennigan's the pretty blond, typical to the front door, told me that the restaurant was just like high school. A couple weeks later when she found out her boyfriend had cheated on her with one of the pretty dumb girls, the pretty blond only sat him with parties of two and minorities. I ended up leaving Bennigan's because I got myself in to too much of the drama. Passing time at two other restaurant's, I eventually found myself at Outback Steakhouse, only to learn that there is going to be drama no matter what I'm serving.

Realizing that the sole purpose of me serving tables is to pay my rent until I get my degree, I attempted to stay out of the drama when I first started at Outback. After being somewhere for two years that decision is no longer up to you. I have outlasted two general managers, a countless number of assistant managers, and a revolving door of individuals who claim to be servers, hostesses, bussers, bartenders, kitchen guy's, and takeaway. I've stood up to the girl who thinks she is better than everyone else. I was among the first to learn about the server who was pregnant with a kitchen manager's baby. I know alot about the dirty laundry that tumbles around in that steakhouse.

As I get older, and gain the experience of four different jobs in the "you're almost there" real world, I'm realizing that the pretty blond was right. It even transmits to the "now you're done with college but have lots of time til you can retire" real world. The upper class of society clique together, just like the girls at the restaurant who carry their Coach purses into work and are only there so it doesn't look like they are spoiled. The clique's are even obvious when the restaurant will go out as a group. For the first year that I worked at Outback I would always make sure to bring a friend with me when meeting co-workers out. I was nice to everyone at work, but never really had my clique to fit into. In the end, I really am ok with that though. Like I said, this job is to pay my rent.

A lazy co-worker, whom I outlasted, was snooping in on the needs of my table one night. It just so happened that he had managed to weasel his way in to not having to take any more tables even though we were still moderately busy, he could not leave the restaurant anyway and people (mainly me) had been there longer than him. So of course he had nothing better to do but to not inform me of the health needs of my table and then obnoxiously hover around and put his two cents in about what was said in on what was said regarding that table. In what was probably not such a polite manner I told him to mind his own business. The lazy co-worker then responded with "I don't like you," and a few more nice words. All I could do was laugh and retort, "Funny, I thought I was here to make money, not friends."

2 comments:

Ribeye of your Dreams said...

I've found that there's drama at every restaurant I've ever worked in. I used to get into the drama, just to have fun with it, now I prefer to watch it and enjoy it for the entertainment value.

Unknown said...

The drama never ends at the restaurant! I work at a smaller italian restaurant in california, and I agree with everything you said. It is impossible to stay out of all the drama. The movie "Waiting" really got the restaurant industry down! I like your blog, please check out mine and let me know what you think. www.stuckserving.com